Greenwich Park is to stay open for now to help people get out of the house and get some exercise during the coronavirus pandemic, Royal Parks has said.
The charity, which runs London’s eight royal parks, says it will continue to welcome visitors at its open spaces while monitoring government and Public Health England advice.
But the playground, along with all Royal Parks playgrounds, has closed to help people keep a safe distance apart. Charges have been scrapped at park toilets to enable people to wash their hands. Community and education programmes have been cancelled until the end of April. More details and updates are available at royalparks.org.uk/coronavirus.
Tom Jarvis, the organisation’s director of parks, said: “The Royal Parks have always been there for locals and visitors, providing the green lungs of the city and hosting incredible wildlife and heritage. And, now more than ever, these vital assets offer a tranquil haven for visitors to come to boost their physical and mental wellbeing.
“In these difficult times, we’re welcoming people to London’s eight historic Royal Parks to relax, exercise and engage in nature. Staying fit and well is particularly important, and we ask visitors to follow the government’s advice and carry out social distancing to prevent the disease spreading, by protecting themselves and others.
“Our charity is closely following and monitoring Government and Public Health England’s guidance and we’re responding with daily updates as the situation unfolds.”
- Official figures on virus spread
- NHS advice
- Government info | Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- How to help your neighbours
- Wash your hands
- Don’t stockpile, give to a food bank: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
853 produces public interest journalism for Greenwich and SE London and is part-funded by its readers. If you would like to help keep it running, become a member:
- Join us on Steady at steadyhq.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in pounds
- Find us on PressPatron at presspatron.com/853 – donate monthly or annual amounts in pounds
- We’re also on Patreon at patreon.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in dollars
- Want to make a one-off donation? Buy the site editor a coffee (or other beverage) at ko-fi.com.
Thank you for your support – the site would not exist without it.