The charity that runs Greenwich Park has closed it to cars and warned that if people do not keep their distance from one another, it and other parks will be completely closed.
Royal Parks said on Sunday afternoon that it had decided to close its remaining takeaway outlets in all its eight parks as customers were not sticking to “social distancing” guidelines and staying at least two metres apart.
The charity announced on Wednesday that its parks would be staying open, but has warned that if people continue to flout guidance on keeping apart from others, then all its parks would be closed.
Royal Parks runs Greenwich Park, Bushy Park, St James’s Park, Hyde Park, Regent’s Park, Green Park, Kensington Gardens, Brompton Cemetery and Victoria Tower Gardens.
The statement reads:
“The Royal Parks remain open and are vitally important at this time. However, social distancing, as set out by the Government, is absolutely crucial. We have, therefore, taken the decision to close all our remaining take-away cafes and kiosks with immediate effect as people are not adhering to social distancing guidelines. We have also made the decision, based on police advice, to start closing our roads to traffic in the outer parks (Richmond, Bushy and Greenwich Parks). Roads will remain open in the inner parks (Hyde, Regent’s, St James’s Parks), but all designated car parks are now only open for key workers with a permit.
“We will keep this situation under constant review. If people do not follow social distancing guidelines, we will have no choice but to consider closing the parks.”
- Official figures on virus spread
- NHS advice
- Official info: Government | Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Volunteer to help your neighbours: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Don’t stockpile, give to a food bank: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Wash your hands more often and for 20 seconds
853 produces public interest journalism for Greenwich and SE London and is part-funded by its readers. If you would like to help keep it running, become a member:
- Join us on Steady at steadyhq.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in pounds
- Find us on PressPatron at presspatron.com/853 – donate monthly or annual amounts in pounds
- We’re also on Patreon at patreon.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in dollars
- Want to make a one-off donation?Buy the site editor a coffee (or other beverage) at ko-fi.com.
Thank you for your support – the site would not exist without it.