Greenwich Council leader Danny Thorpe has made an urgent appeal for PPE equipment to help its social care staff in care homes across the borough after being let down by a supplier.
Thorpe used Twitter on Thursday evening to ask for supplies, which he said would help free up at least one bed at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich.
“Despite assurances that the necessary supplies would arrive, they haven’t. And we know we could free up at least one bed tonight at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust that could be used for another unwell patient if we had this equipment,” he said.
“We need the following urgently: 1) FFP3 face masks – you may have this type if you are a builder, work in construction, a nail bar or use spray paint; 2) disposable plastic gloves; 3) aprons & 4) eye protection (disposable gloves/visors)
“Any schools who have eye protection that are typically used in science lessons, please get in touch. This messsage needs sharing by everyone and if you have any supplies, please DM me as soon as possible so we can discuss delivery/collection.”
Anyone who is not on Twitter can contact Thorpe via his council email address.
The latest Public Health England figures show 97 confirmed Covid-19 cases in Greenwich borough, with 114 in Lewisham and 59 in Bexley.
11.40am Friday update: The appeal is still running as the suppliers have still not delivered – items can be dropped off at the Woolwich Centre in Wellington Street.
- Official figures on virus spread
- Official info: Government | Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Volunteer to help your neighbours: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley | NHS
- Don’t stockpile, give to a food bank: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- NHS advice | Stay at home | Wash your hands more often
853 produces public interest journalism for Greenwich and SE London and is part-funded by its readers. If you would like to help keep it running, become a member:
- Join us on Steady at steadyhq.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in pounds
- Find us on PressPatron at presspatron.com/853 – donate monthly or annual amounts in pounds
- We’re also on Patreon at patreon.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in dollars
- Want to make a one-off donation? Buy the site editor a coffee (or other beverage) at ko-fi.com.
Thank you for your support – the site would not exist without it.
[…] of personal protective equipment (PPE) for social care staff in his borough when expected supplies did not arrive. Over the following few days, some boroughs received some of what they need from the government, […]
Comments are closed.