The Greenwich Foot Tunnel is to close for Easter weekend, Greenwich Council has confirmed, because of worries that users will not be able to stay sufficiently apart from each other to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
The tunnel closed for a time on Sunday because of the numbers of people using it, and with more fine weather due over the four-day weekend, Greenwich has decided to close the link between Cutty Sark Gardens and Island Gardens on the Isle of Dogs between 10pm tonight and 10pm on Monday.
- COVD-19 APPEAL: Donate to help frontline NHS staff
A statement given to the Friends of Greenwich and Woolwich Foot Tunnels (Fogwoft) on Wednesday afternoon said: “Monitoring via CCTV led to this decision and the council is currently putting out a range of communication about this in liaison with Tower Hamlets Council.
“On Tuesday we expect to have a very visible staff presence advising users the tunnel is only for essential use and to adhere to social distancing rules – arrangements are being put in place now.”
The Woolwich Foot Tunnel, which sees far fewer users, will remain open, but the council will monitor what happens there.
Fogwoft had pressed for key workers to be given free use of the Docklands Light Railway between Cutty Sark and Island Gardens, but TfL had said this would not be possible.
More warm weather is due for the start of the Easter weekend, leading to worries that people will ignore lockdown laws and flock to parks and open spaces. The Thames Path has been closed in two narrow sections through Greenwich, and the Old Royal Naval College grounds have already been closed.
- Official figures on virus spread
- Official info: Government | Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Volunteer to help your neighbours: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley | NHS
- Don’t stockpile, give to a food bank: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- NHS advice | Stay at home | Wash your hands more often
853 produces public interest journalism for Greenwich and SE London and is part-funded by its readers. If you would like to help keep it running, become a member:
- Join us on Steady at steadyhq.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in pounds
- Find us on PressPatron at presspatron.com/853 – donate monthly or annual amounts in pounds
- We’re also on Patreon at patreon.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in dollars
Thank you for your support – the site would not exist without it.