An appeal by Lewisham’s elected mayor to help the local food bank amid the coronavirus crisis has now raised more than £80,000.
People had donated £80,717 by Thursday lunchtime, only 24 days after the fundraiser was launched.
Damien Egan, the elected mayor of the borough, said: “Over 2,000 people have donated to the appeal, which is amazing. Their generosity means the foodbank can continue to support vulnerable residents in Lewisham at a time when they need it most.”
People giving donations to the Lewisham Foodbank appeal have thanked the charity for its “incredible work”.
Residents can donate cash to the appeal at lewishamfoodbankappeal.co.uk
One said: “It’s a little something to say thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for your help, plenty of blessings. Stay safe.”
“Fortunate enough to be able to continue working from home in these difficult times. Hope this campaign helps those less fortunate,” another said.
Food bank usage has surged since the Covid-19 outbreak. A similar appeal for the Greenwich Food Bank, organised by a resident, has raised over £18,000 in the two weeks since it launched.
To donate to the Greenwich appeal, visit gofundme.com.
- Official figures on virus spread
- Official info: Government | Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Volunteer to help your neighbours: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley | NHS
- Don’t stockpile, give to a food bank: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- NHS advice | Stay at home | Wash your hands more often
Grainne Cuffe is the Local Democracy Reporter for Lewisham. The Local Democracy Reporter Service is a BBC-funded initiative to ensure councils are covered properly in local media.
See more about how 853 uses LDRS content.
853 produces public interest journalism for Greenwich and SE London and is part-funded by its readers. If you would like to help keep it running, become a member:
- Join us on Steady at steadyhq.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in pounds
- Find us on PressPatron at presspatron.com/853 – donate monthly or annual amounts in pounds
- We’re also on Patreon at patreon.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in dollars
Thank you for your support – the site would not exist without it.