Charities and community groups in Greenwich borough can apply for up to £10,000 in funding to help them through the coronavirus crisis, it was announced today.
Greenwich Council and a charity linked to the local NHS, the Greenwich Charitable Trust, have each put in £75,000 to fund the grants, with the voluntary service organisation Metro Gavs in charge of distributing the funds.
The money is being made available in three areas:
- Supporting voluntary and community organisations in financial difficulty that are key to the health and wellbeing of the local community.
- Supporting voluntary and community organisations to adapt services to support people around health and wellbeing during the pandemic, with a particular focus on mental wellbeing.
- Supporting voluntary and community organisations tackling poverty and food poverty in the local community caused by the effects of Covid-19.
Naomi Goldberg, Metro’s director of strategy, said: “We are hugely grateful to Greenwich Charitable Trust and the Royal Borough of Greenwich for providing this additional funding for the sector at this difficult and extraordinary time. In doing so, they are recognising the essential contribution that our voluntary, community and faith sector make to the health and wellbeing of the borough’s residents, and the crucial need for continuity and robust services, now more than ever.”
Greenwich Council leader Danny Thorpe said: “The response from our borough’s voluntary and community sector to the Covid-19 pandemic has been incredible, and we want to help them do even more. Our community hub has had over 20,000 calls from residents needing support, and it’s clear that some people are really struggling to put food on the table. That’s why we’re providing extra funding to help alleviate food poverty during this crisis.”
Details on how to apply can be found on the Metro Gavs website.
- Official figures on virus spread
- Official info: Government | Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Volunteer to help your neighbours: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley | NHS
- Don’t stockpile, give to a food bank: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- NHS advice | Stay at home | Wash your hands more often
853 produces public interest journalism for Greenwich and SE London and is part-funded by its readers. If you would like to help keep it running, become a member:
- Join us on Steady at steadyhq.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in pounds
- Find us on PressPatron at presspatron.com/853 – donate monthly or annual amounts in pounds
- We’re also on Patreon at patreon.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in dollars
- Want to make a one-off donation? Buy the site editor a coffee (or other beverage) at ko-fi.com.
Thank you for your support – the site would not exist without it.