Greenwich Council has begun sending engineers into tenants’ homes to check their gas systems once again, and it says it is taking steps to make sure tenants are comfortable with allowing workers into their home.
Annual inspections, which have to be carried out by law, had been suspended when the lockdown was imposed five weeks ago. But tenants have begun to receive letters saying that the services are resuming on government advice.
One tenant who lives in west Greenwich sent their letter to 853, saying: “I’m certain the council are within their legal rights, but it does seem a bit much just at the moment, and is certain to increase anxiety, especially, perhaps, amongst older, more vulnerable people, who don’t need more anxiety in their lives just now.”
However, a Greenwich Council spokesperson emphasised that the inspections had be carried out by law. She added: “We’ve provided a phone number for residents to get in touch when they receive their letter if they are self-isolating or have concerns. There is also more information on our website about the changes we’ve made in light of Covid-19 to make sure staff can attend homes safely.”
Measures include asking residents if they are unwell or self-isolating before arranging appointment, asking residents to stay two metres away from the engineer or in another room while the service is carried out, and asking if staff can wash their hands both before the service and before leaving the home. The workers will also carry ID.
About one in five households in the borough rents from the council.
- Official figures on virus spread
- Official info: Government | Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Volunteer to help your neighbours: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley | NHS
- Don’t stockpile, give to a food bank: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- NHS advice | Stay at home | Wash your hands more often
853 produces public interest journalism for Greenwich and SE London and is part-funded by its readers. If you would like to help keep it running, become a member:
- Join us on Steady at steadyhq.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in pounds
- Find us on PressPatron at presspatron.com/853 – donate monthly or annual amounts in pounds
- We’re also on Patreon at patreon.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in dollars
- Want to make a one-off donation? Buy the site editor a coffee (or other beverage) at ko-fi.com.
Thank you for your support – the site would not exist without it.