Greenwich Theatre has cancelled plans to stage its rescheduled pantomime this Easter after the recent surge in new coronavirus cases.
The theatre had moved its traditional winter show to Easter in light of the pandemic, which has wiped out most live performance since March. It had reopened during the autumn to stage some socially-distanced performances, but closed its doors again last month as London entered Tier 3 measures.
Now with the prospect of an extended national lockdown, the theatre has scrapped its plans and ticketholders will be transferred to November 2021’s production of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves instead.
The annual pantomime is a major source of income for the theatre, helping subsidise its other productions throughout the year. It is asking for donations to help it survive the crisis.
In an email to ticketholders, artistic director James Haddrell said: “We have not taken this decision lightly and we are hugely disappointed to have to cancel this production after so much hard work has already been put into the show.
“However, the Greenwich pantomime will be back in full force this Christmas with Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. In the meantime, stay safe and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.”
Writer, director and dame Andrew Pollard will return in the show show, along with the venue’s favourite panto villain, Anthony Spargo.
Despite the disruption caused by the pandemic, the theatre has been continuing its series of online productions, which continue next month with Bored of Knives, a play about female friendship.
- Local info: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Got symptoms? Book a test now
- Not got symptoms? Book a lateral flow test (Greenwich, Eltham, Charlton)
- NHS advice | Stay at home | Wash your hands more often
- Official figures on virus spread
853 produces public interest journalism for Greenwich and SE London and is part-funded by its readers. If you would like to help keep it running, become a member:
- Join us on Steady at steadyhq.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in pounds
- Find us on PressPatron at presspatron.com/853 – donate monthly or annual amounts in pounds, or make a one-off donation
- We’re also on Patreon at patreon.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in dollars
- Buy the site editor a coffee (or other beverage) at ko-fi.com.
Thank you for your support – the site would not exist without it.