Greenwich borough residents who are not showing coronavirus symptoms can now book fast, free tests at the Waterfront Leisure Centre to see if they have Covid-19.
The tests are being made available as part of a borough-wide community testing programme and are also on offer at locations in Greenwich, Charlton and Eltham. Results will be sent to you within 45 minutes.
If you don’t have symptoms, the tests at the Waterfront and other locations in the borough can be booked at at the Greenwich Council website.
This weekend is the last chance to get a test at Queen Anne Court in the Old Royal Naval College, but testing centres at Daniel Defoe Hall, next to Greenwich DLR station; the David Fussey Building at the University of Greenwich off Avery Hill Road, Eltham; and The Valley in Charlton remain in operation alongside the Waterfront.
If you have symptoms, don’t use this service – go straight to the standard testing service instead at gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test, or call 119.
Many people with the virus don’t show symptoms, so the fast lateral flow tests are useful at picking up these cases. While open to all they are aimed at critical workers, young people still attending school, and others who are unable to stay at home during the lockdown.
If you get a positive test, you should always act on it – but don’t be reassured by a negative test, because analysis shows lateral flow tests only pick up half the active infections. If people self-isolate as a result of taking these tests, then they have done their job – but lateral flow tests are not fool-proof.
Public Health England figures show that more than 25,000 lateral flow tests have been carried out so far in Greenwich borough.
In neighbouring boroughs, Lewisham is offering rapid tests by appointment in Catford to critical workers and those who live with them; while Bexley is offering some walk-up tests from mobile units in Bexleyheath and Erith town centres as well as tests by appointment at its civic centre in Bexleyheath.
- Local info: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Got symptoms? Book a test now or call 119
- Not got symptoms? Book a fast test in Greenwich (Greenwich, Eltham, Charlton, Woolwich; open to all), Lewisham (Catford – critical workers only), Bexley (Bexleyheath and Erith)
- NHS advice | Stay at home | Wash your hands more often
- Official figures on virus spread
853 produces public interest journalism for Greenwich and SE London and is part-funded by its readers. If you would like to help keep it running, become a member:
- Join us on Steady at steadyhq.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in pounds
- Find us on PressPatron at presspatron.com/853 – donate monthly or annual amounts in pounds, or make a one-off donation
- We’re also on Patreon at patreon.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in dollars
- Buy the site editor a coffee (or other beverage) at ko-fi.com.
Thank you for your support – the site would not exist without it.